Thursday, November 19, 2020

I Love You, And ... I

It's hard as a parent to tell you child no, but every parent knows that sometimes, it has to be done.  No running out in the middle of a crowded street, for instance, is a pretty universal rule, however libertarian or permissive your parenting style may generally be.

These days, though, a lot of parents want to parent more gently and--even though they know that it isn't good for their child to have everything--they want to let him or her down as gently and sympathetically as possible.  Thus strategies like the following:

"I know the street looks fun, Chiara--really, it does, doesn't it?  I can tell how much you want to go there.  But you know, sweetheart, it's a very dangerous place.  Do you remember when you got the booboo on your knee the other day?  Remember how that hurt?  If you run in the street, you could be hurt much worse--or remember when the doctor gave you a shot?  You don't want to have to--Chiara!  Chiara, stop hitting me!  Chiara!!!"

"Moscotti, it's really inventive of you to want to play in the street.  Why don't you come play on the dining room table with your sensory blocks?  That's almost as exciting!!!"

"Acutis, I love you sweetie pie, but--"

Now look, if you're a parent and you've used any of these strategies--please know that I'm laughing with you, not at you.  I've done things along these lines myself.  They all have their place--although parents would do well to notice when a strategy isn't working, either for this kid, or for this kid right now--but I think they're all fatally flawed.



No comments: